Online Education Specialist Degree Programs
What is a Specialist Degree (Ed.S)?
A simple explanation or a one lines which can put across the meaning in a user friendly language "Specialist degrees need more syllabus as compared to a master's degree
however; it is very less as compared to a doctorate degree. Volume of syllabus is the main difference between a specialist and a doctorate degree program. Master's degree can be considered to be an Ed.S. / Ed.D. Ladder program Students and professionals seeking and practicing a specialist degree are usually looking for:
- Enhanced knowledge in their field
- Explore more horizons to their career
- Elementary syllabus/coursework for a doctorate degree
The educational specialist degree (Ed.S.) is obtainable and is provided by a few of the departments in the College of Education which offer doctoral degrees
. Individuals interested in Ed.S. Degrees are advised to get in touch with the concerned department with regards to the prerequisites, policies and procedures for the same.
Ed.S. Degree is usually awarded on completion of the sixth year of college studies and is in schedule amidst the master's degree and the Doctorate. Still, it is not considered as a transitional learning from the master's to a doctoral degree. The motive of this degree; specially in the education industry is of enhancing the skills of undergraduate-college teachers, those seeking employment in junior or early colleges, undersized private and state colleges, and the group of colleges which are called the "developing" alliance. Professional proficiency and teaching skills are the primary objective to the Ed.S degree.
Credit points earned in an Ed.S program are; not by design transferred to a doctorate program as the purpose of the Ed.S. Degree differs from those of either the Ed.D. Or Ph.D. However; in consent with the individual who holds an Ed.S. degree might enters a doctoral program at a later date, here at the doctoral advisory committee's discretion a settlement would be made with regards to how much of the credit earned in the Ed.S. Program will reckon to the doctorate.
Ed.S. degree needs a minimum of 30 credit/semester hours of study above and over the master's degree. There are individuals who also seek an Alabama Class AA certificate hand in hand with successful completion of the Ed.S. Program; for serving or making a career in the public schools mandatorily need 33 credit/semester hours with a minimal 3.25 grade points on the overall work attempted.
Below are a few mandates for the degree:
Graduation students who also seek an Alabama Class AA certificate hand in hand with successful completion of the Ed.S. Program; for serving or making a career in the public schools mandatorily need 33 credit/semester hours with a minimal 3.25 grade points on the overall work attempted.
For individuals taking admissions in master's degree who had opted for a field which happens to be different than the one in which they are planning to study, adequate coursework in the Ed.S. Major becomes mandatory so as to make the total graduate semester credit hours in the field attain a minimum of 36. This requirement differs based on the department.
Preparing undergraduate – college teachers is one of the primary goals of the Ed.S. Degree, few of the courses in the higher education might be mandatory, as governed by the major department. A senior member from the program in higher education might advise the students on selecting a suitable option in order to fulfill the prerequisite.
500 and 600 are the levels where; the applicants for the Ed.S. Programs are required to accomplish all their assignments.
Capabilities and Achievements of students at Ed.S program; are gauged while the applicant provides sufficient association with the resident supervisor who has the permission of individual evaluation.
Specialist degree credit hour requirements
25% of the degree program or 9 credit hours, whatever is on the greater side is transferred and applicable to the Ed.S. Degree.
It is been observed that those student who are in their last lap of their master's degree and have clear thought process of not taking the entire load to attain the course necessities of their respective master's program may enroll for coursework/syllabus leading to the Ed.S. Degree. This additional coursework is only to the extent to fulfill their registration requisites.
It is mandatory for the students to accomplish all the perquisites for attaining the Ed.S. degree; through the six years comprising of, summer semesters – spring and 18 fall at once; which is prior to the date on which the degree is to be granted.
Above and over the regular syllabus examinations, a final assessment including the entire syllabus needs to be cleared. Such assessments may be written or oral or both, which is at the prudence of the major at the department, and can be altered at any time. None of the student gets eligible for the final assessment program director's approval. A student may take the final oral or written examination only twice.
Different Types of Ed.S Degree programs
- Ed.S. in Educational Leadership - trains educators for leadership positions in administration
- Ed.S. in School Psychology/ school counseling - trains K-12 school counselors
- Ed.S. in Special Education - trains graduates for leadership positions in K-12 schools.
- Ed.S. in Curriculum and Instruction trains - for leadership positions in either the K-12 or higher education setting.
- Ed.S. in Adult Education - trains graduates for teaching adults in community colleges or four-year institutions
- Online counselor education specialist degree in play therapy
- Educational specialist degree in curriculum and instruction technology
- Specialist degree in school counseling
- Graduate educational specialist application
- Ed.D. In adult and lifelong learning
- Certificate of advanced graduate study (C.A.G.S.)
- Adapted physical education specialists
- Education specialist (Ed.S.)
- Specialist in library and information science
- Certificate in administration and supervision
- Clinical nurse specialist certification program
- Child life specialist degree program requirements
- Contract specialist degree programs
- Environmental specialist degree courses
- Reading specialist degree programs
- Certified health education specialist degree programs
- Medical administrative specialist degrees
- Postsecondary education administrators
- Certificate of advanced study
Benefits of an Ed.S Degree
The Education Specialist degree
is above the Master's Degree and is considered to be a leadership or so called headship degree to prepare students to take up roles of skilled professionals' as careers in administration and supervision
. It is supposed to be the best way for aspiring individuals for gaining that extra edge as compared to others when it comes to education profession in today's global education. These are the graduates who are qualified and eligible to take up careers in varied educational alliances, including schools, colleges, and universities.
A few of the benefits are listed below for ready reference:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics
- For obvious reasons the salaries for Ed.S degree holders are higher as compared to master's degree holder.
- Ed.S degree holders are the ones with more job options that include administrative and central office positions.
- Distinct set of enhanced skills regarding Practice, Policies and procedures and theories – possessed by Specialist degree holders make them more marketable and striking in the job market.
projects the demand of specialists to grow hand in hand with the national average until the year 2018. Projected Median annual wages:
- Preschool administrator - $39,940
- Elementary and secondary school administrators - $83,880
- Post-secondary administrators - $80,670
Career prospects for Specialist degree holders include:
- Assistant Principal
- Assistant Superintendent
- Central Office Administrator
- Director of Athletics
- Director of Curriculum
- Director of Early Childhood
- Director of Special Education
- Director of Technology