Salaries of culinary arts career will fluctuate greatly depending on the ample number of factors such as Geographic location, type of restaurant, culinary education and work experience. For instance a chef working at some restaurant in California might earn more money than a chef working at some restaurant in New York.
Salary structure for various positions within the culinary arts degree is as mentioned below:
|Culinary Job Designation
||Median Annual Salary
|Food service managers
|Chefs & Head Cooks
|Food preparation workers
[Source : U.S. Department of Labor Statistics
, Edition 2012-13 of Outlook Handbook for Occupational]
Food industry requires three distinct kinds of employees to work are chefs, cooks and food service managers.
Job role of culinary chef is professional as well as passionate. The duties of a chef or head cook may be to manage the flow of activities for kitchen workers, supervising as well as training kitchen assistants, menu planning, choosing a restaurant theme, management of kitchen resources, instruction in recipe creation and some specific cooking duties. Chef plays a vital role in kitchen staff and held the highest position among every kitchen staff employee.
Cooks and food preparation workers will be responsible for daily food preparation at the restaurant or facility. Different activities are performed by cooks and each cook is responsible for a unique part of the menu or food. For example, there are vegetable, pastry and other cooks. Cooks as well as assistant cooks work by following instructions of head cooks to complete different kitchen activity.
Food service managers handle day-to-day activity in cafeteria, restaurant and other cooking workplace. Major role is customer satisfaction in terms of food services. They may work under a food service administrator.
The food industry is booming. As per the data from the NRA (National Restaurant Association), Americans spend nearly half of their dollars on food. At present, food service industry employs 13.1 million people. As per NRA prediction, more than 2 million jobs may be introduced in the food industry over the next decade.
As per the data provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, pay scale of chefs, executive cooks as well as food preparation and serving supervisors may be incremented by 9 percent till year 2020.
Few of the categories of jobs that can be offered are as follows:
- Executive Chef
- Sous Chef
- Pastry Chef
- Cake decorator
- Banquet manager
- Kitchen manager
- Food manager
- Cooking school instructor
- Cruise ship staff
Types of industries that can be taken for a career in Culinary Arts:
- Catering firms
- Country clubs
- Grocery store with deli
- Nursing homes
- Cruise ship
- Food shop
Culinary Arts degrees, courses as well as programs depend on what level of education you want to pursue. Degree option provided by the various culinary arts academy, institutes, top culinary schools, culinary arts college and university is mentioned below:
BACHELOR'S IN CULINARY ARTS
- Duration: 4 years.
- Bachelor's Degree Offered by: Culinary University, Colleges and Schools.
- Necessity: High school diploma/GED.
- Best suited for: Personnel who wish to become food managers, food writers, food manager, culinary instructor or restaurant owner.
ASSOCIATE'S IN CULINARY ARTS
- Duration: 2 years.
- Associate's Degree Offered by: Culinary institute, college, university or community college.
- Necessity: High school diploma/GED.
- Best suited for: Personnel is fulfilling basic education requirements and wish to pursue higher levels of education and more knowledge than certificate program are gained during culinary training.
CERTIFICATE/DIPLOMA IN CULINARY ARTS
- Duration: 6 to 12 months.
- Culinary Certificate Offered by: Culinary college, Cooking school, Culinary institute, community college, trade school, vocational school.
- Necessity: No requirement for certificate course. High school diploma/GED may be required for enrolling into diploma program.
- Best suited for: Entry level position in restaurants, cafeterias, cafe, bakeries and other outlets.
Job growth for culinary arts career is expected to increase from 2010 to 2020. As per the projection report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Chefs as well as head cooks with prior experience will have a glad opportunity. Employment and increment for Food and beverage management workers and supervisors is foreseen. Some of the highest paying jobs and careers are promising in this field.
Culinary jobs require long working hours, quick move into cooking skills as well as extreme level of energy and stamina, which may result into a significant employee turnover rate. The employee turnover rate secures a room for new workers in the culinary arts profession all over the country.